Sunday, October 15, 2006

Skip a Stocking Stuffer, or Do This Also

Befor you read this I suggerst you walk one mile, and then drink a glass of muddy water.

Jars of Clay has found an organization called blood:water mission. One of the main goals is to combat the rampant AIDS epidemic in Africa. They plan to achieve this by bringing clean blood and clean water to this poverty stricken continent. JoC has set an ambitious goal of providing a thousand wells to communities that have no fresh water.

I think this whole idea is wonderful, but.... I think the fight against AIDS in Africa just seems overwhelming. The stats you hear and read are mind boggling. The idea of digging hundreds of feet down for water, or building elaborate aqueducts with minimal supplies, seems at the least ambitious. So let me say what I can comprehend, $1 provides clean water for 1 person for 1 year.

You spend $1.50 to $2 on a bottle of water. They can have a whole year of clean water for a dollar. Think about that. I bet you could provide 3 people with water for a year with the change in your car. I also bet you will read this, forget about it in an hour or two, and justify it by blaming "them" for their problems.






4 Comments:

At 3:49 PM, Blogger Buenoman said...

Jeff-
I just glanced at the website. Is there a practical way we can get involved in this? I'm also seriously considering forwarding that website to my Sunday School teacher.

-Jay

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Jeff said...

Jay,
On the main page it has the question, "how you can help." It is at the top right below the word blood. After you click on that you have options below it. Pick "Run A Campaign." Good Luck. Let me know if you guys get invovled.

 
At 6:16 PM, Blogger Jeff said...

Jay,
I should have also said you could give money to Mike, and he could add it to the kaleo collection. If you want.

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Buenoman said...

It might be more practical for me to give mine to Mike. But I'll also look into getting some people from my church involved. Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home